Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I Have Freewill To Obsess On Predestination!

I was reading Exodus this morning and came across the use of the word "freewill" in the Revised Standard Version I am reading. I had been under the impression that "predestinists" claimed the term was not used in Scripture.

For fun, I ran a word search at BibleGateway.com, and here are the results:

Use of word freewill: 22 times
Use of word predestined: 4 times

Seems that freewill wins in this unofficial face off. At the very least, I am heartened to see that the term freewill DOES appear in Scripture. Since the Word can not contradict itself, we must assume there is a way for the two terms to exist in harmony. My answer is that the concept of predestination is applied from God's timeless point of view, who knows all things. He knows the choices we will freely choose to make.

What's yours?

No comments: